The short version: the market is selling oil on talk. WTI has gone from a $102.48 settle on September 10 to $89 today, because Iran floated a seven-day reopening of Hormuz and Saudi Arabia restarted its East-West pipeline. If a short-term deal actually lands, I expect what happened in April and June: a fast drop into the $60s and $70s, then a recovery that runs harder than the drop. I am not selling into it. I am placing my buy orders.
The Pattern: Every Deal Dip Got Bought Back
This is the third time in 2026 that a deal headline has hit crude. The first two were fully bought back within weeks.
| Headline | What oil did | What came next |
|---|---|---|
| April 8 · two-week ceasefire | Down 15% in one session, from about $113 to $96, with a $91 print | Settled $106.88 on April 29, three weeks later |
| June 14 · the 14-point MOU | Closed $69.23 on June 26, the first close under $70 since the day before the war | Settled $102.48 on September 10, up 48% |
| September 21 to 22 · UN talks, Hormuz offer, Saudi pipeline restart | $102 to $89 in eight sessions | Open. This is the setup. |
The dips do not hold because the problem is physical, not political. More than 11 million barrels a day of Gulf crude and condensate is still curtailed, Saudi output fell to 6.2 million barrels a day in August, its lowest since 1990, and Iranian exports collapsed under the blockade. Barrels do not come back on a headline. They come back when tankers move through the strait for weeks, and every reopening so far has been partial or short. Talk takes the premium out in a week. Production takes months to put back.
My Plan: Buy $70, Add at $60
I bought at $60 in December when the consensus said $50. Same framework now. If a deal takes WTI back to $70 in the coming months, that is my first buy. If it overshoots toward $60, the way June overshot, I add. Two entries, not one, because I do not know where the panic stops. What I do know is where the barrels are, and they are not priced at $60.
The invalidation is the same as for the $150 call: a ceasefire that holds with tankers moving through Hormuz for a sustained stretch, or a recession print that breaks demand. Neither is on the tape yet. Until one is, a deal dip is an entry, not an exit.
The Worst Case: $200 Oil
Everyone is pricing the deal. Almost nobody is pricing the failure. If talks collapse and the strait stays largely shut into year-end, Wood Mackenzie's extended-disruption scenario has Brent approaching $200 by December, with demand falling 6 million barrels a day and the world in recession. I do not predict that. I position so I survive it: the barbell from Nassim Taleb, cash, Treasury bills and gold on the heavy end, and oil exposure sized so a $200 print is a windfall and a $60 print is a buying opportunity, not a margin call.
Six Stocks Worth a Look
Not everything on my screen is oil. These are the names I am watching while the market is distracted, marked at the September 22 close.
| Name | Close | vs a year ago | Off 52-week high | Why it is on the list |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Carlyle · CG | $40.23 | −41% | −42% | Private-markets manager sitting 3% above its 52-week low. Priced for a rate shock. |
| GE Vernova · GEV | $950.28 | +47% | −21% | Turbines and grid gear for the AI power build-out. Already in my offensive sleeve. |
| IonQ · IONQ | $40.74 | −43% | −52% | Quantum. Speculative sleeve only, sized like one. |
| Albemarle · ALB | $116.80 | +45% | −47% | Lithium. Cyclical, and nearly half off its May high. |
| Applied Materials · AMAT | $472.46 | +136% | −36% | Semicap. The tools behind every AI chip, a third cheaper than in June. |
| Chubb · CB | $335.77 | +23% | −8% | Insurance. The defensive end of the barbell, earning on its float at these rates. |
A watchlist is not a buy list. Each of these gets the same treatment as oil: a scenario, an entry price where the bad case is already paid for, and a size that survives being early.